What We Are Drinking

Argentina – It’s not all about Malbec!

Blog, Wines 15 April 2019 Published by Tegan Philp

Argentina is full of different and wonderful grape varieties which should not be forgotten about, keep reading to see what this exciting country has to offer when it comes to wine.

We all love Malbec, the eye-catching labels of gauchos and snow topped vistas. Malbec has become a must on every wine list giving us a big red to sup on while drooling over a juicy steak. Malbec accounts for 36% of red wine vineyard area in Argentina, that’s a lot of Malbec. But what about the other 64%, and what about white grapes, what else is driving the excitement on Argentinian wines? Here we outline 4 wines that we think are great examples of just how good Argentina is as a wine producing country.

TORRONTÉS

Torrontés is Argentina’s key white grape variety recognised by distinctly floral aromas of rose, geranium and honey. It gives the impression of sweetness on the nose but has a refreshing acidity on the palate. Drink with Asian and Indian food, fish and shellfish.

Here are our top picks;

CHARDONNAY

Old faithful grape that can be grown in so many regions and climates. After Argentina’s own Torrontes grape, Chardonnay is the second most planted white grape variety with 15% of the vineyard acreage.

One to try;

CABERNET SAUVIGNON

Our Argentinian Cabernet is produced in San Juan, North and West of Mendoza, giving a wine of great intensity in both colour and aroma. Look out for flavours of blackberry and green pepper. It is bold, smooth and great with red meats.

SYRAH

Another great red from the San Juan region, Syrah (aka Shiraz) is super smooth with red fruit flavours and hints of chocolate. Another great meat pairing but particularly good with game or lamb.

Share this article
Share Share
Previous Next

Are you over 18?